1971 Fiat 500 My Car Francis Lombardi
“The 500 My Car was a version of the New 500 developed by the Vercelli body shop Francis Lombardi between 1968 and 1971. It was not the only New 500 modified by the Piedmontese coachbuilder, but it was the only one to have a good commercial success.
It was produced in two versions: with hard top or with sunroof (“convertible”). Incomplete cars arrived at the Vercelli body shop from Fiat, to be completed with the appropriate Francis Lombardi parts: it was a widespread policy, in fact Abarth had been using it for some years for the assembly of its own 500 elaborated.
This model boasted eye-catching features, some of which were never adopted by the next two production models: shaped dashboard covered in black plastic, wooden steering wheel and gear knob, rear windows that opened with a compass, stainless steel sills, rounded grille with chromed zamak grille, steel wheel rings. The most innovative element of this car is the shape of the roof which, with two transverse ribs and a small spoiler, conferred an image of sportiness and refinement and in the meantime improved its habitability. The optional scope of metallic paint was also provided.
Despite the higher cost compared to the original Fiat model, a few thousand copies were produced, constituting an exception compared to the other special versions produced by various body builders. The reasons for the good commercial success, in addition to the ability to stand out, consisted in delivery times, much lower than those required for the Fiat 500 F and in the better habitability allowed by the particular shape of the roof.”
- First registration: 28/06/1971
- Body color: red
- Interior color: black
- Kilometers: 93000 km
- 499.5cc twin cylinder engine
- Manual gearbox 4 brands + reverse
- Oversized rims of the time, FERGAT brand
- Chrome exterior rearview mirror
- Brass plaque CLUB ITALIA FIAT 500
- Paint condition: Good (small chip on the left rear fender)
- Mechanical condition: fully functional
- Condition of the electrical system: In perfect working order
This 500 My Car we present is an excellent example of the rarer model with a sunroof. On 28 June this year, this car will turn 51, in fact its first registration dates back to 28/06/1971.
500 Francis Lombardi My Car is a rarer model than the production Fiat 500 produced by Fiat.
The front is absolutely original, therefore it indicates that the car has never suffered rear-end collisions
The last owner owned it for 10 years. This 500 My Car has spent the last 10 years in the city of Lecce. It has always been parked in the garage and has never taken water. ASI registered.
This 500 My Car boasts original details such as:
- Front grille first of all (often the cars on sale do not have them or are fitted with replicas since this is the point of the car most exposed to shocks and deformations)
- Fiberglass dashboard with embossed finish
- Specific odometer indicator with gray background
- Original seats with increased backrest and reclining
original 3-spoke Ferrero-branded wooden steering wheel
- Horn button with signature of Carrozzeria Francis Lombardi
- Original chromed shift rod and handbrake frieze
- New upholstery and door panels
- Rubber mats in the same color as the car exterior
- Bumper bolts
- New tires
The body was painted a few years ago.
The last service was carried out on 28/06/2019 at 90,000 kilometers. On this occasion the Inner Drive Shaft Boot and engine oil were replaced.
Other maintenance works prior to the last service involved:
- Overhaul starter motor and alternator
- Clutch kit replacement
- flywheel rectification
- Fuel pump
- Petrol pipes
- Spark plugs
- replacement exhaust
- 4 brake drums with cylinders and brake pump
- Brake hoses
- Front wheel bearings
- Complete linkage
- Steering return mechanism
- Hand brake cable
Overall it is, undoubtedly, a very interesting collector’s item. The supply of accessories, the care to which it has always been subjected, make it an excellent investment, as well as a lot of fun to drive.